The Mawson’s Huts Foundation is a not-for -profit charity established in 1997 expressly to conserve Mawson’s Huts at Cape Denison which served as the main base for two years of the 1911-14 Australasian Antarctic Expedition (AAE). The buildings have been named after the leader of the expedition Dr Douglas Mawson, a 29 year old geologist who was later knighted for his role.
Established with the full support of the Australian Government the Foundation works in partnership with the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) which has responsibility for maintaining the huts.
Between 1997 and 2013 the Foundation raised in excess of $8 million dollars in cash and in-kind support and from this has funded and organised 10 major expeditions to Cape Denison.
Of the total raised the Australian Government has contributed just under $3 million in special grants including a $350,000 grant to construct the replica which will operate as a small world class museum operated by the Foundation to generate revenue for the conservation and ongoing maintenance of the historic buildings.